Director of Youth Ministry St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church
1501 S. El Camino Real
San Mateo, California
This position is to help build young disciples for Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to youth ministry while serving as a spiritual leader and role model. The Director of Youth Ministry shall seek to foster Christian community through building relationships with young people that strengthen their commitment to the church and growth in faith in Jesus Christ.
The Primary Task
There shall be a comprehensive approach to the development and implementation of the youth ministry at all levels in the system of the Evangelical Lutheran Church and in all ministry areas of the local church. This comprehensive approach is based on the understanding of the primary task of youth ministry to:
- love youth where they are
- encourage youth in developing their relationship to God
- provide them with opportunities for nurture and growth
- challenge them to respond to God’s call to serve in their communities and world
- Provide leadership for and function as the primary staff person relating to the Youth Ministry. Help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach.
- Plan and implement age appropriate activities for Elementary, Middle and High School age youth that promote community through fellowship, fun and faith development. Such activities might include; community outings, dramatic presentations, small group Bible study, retreats and service/mission projects.
- Promote Christian service through age appropriate service projects.
- Work with other Church Youth Directors to support an intra‑Lutheran Church High School Youth Group in which youth directors and youth work together to proclaim the Gospel as traditionally understood by Lutheran Christians.
- Be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns and needs of youth in the local church and community.
- Help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach.
- Make yourself available to youth in a variety of ways (i.e. lunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.)
- Mentor youth in developing their leadership skills.
- Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people, and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries.
- Be a part of the worshiping community of St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church on a regular basis, taking part in the means of grace.
- Attend staff meetings, occasional Church Council meeting and any other meetings required by the supervising pastor.
- Meet regularly with supervising pastor as needed at a time mutually agreed upon.
- Coordinate youth activities with other ministries of the congregation in cooperation with staff.
- Be in contact with office staff and provide a timely and accurate schedule of Youth activities. Keep the congregation informed of youth events by coordinating the publicity for youth activities through the appropriate vehicles provided by the church. (e.g. monthly newsletter, special mailings, posters, bulletin announcements, web page, social media etc.) Provide monthly reports for the Congregational Council and a year-end report for the congregation.
- Manage the disbursement of budgeted funds for Youth Ministry within the guidelines of the approved budget and in adherence with the purchasing policies of the church.
- Encourage young people to participate in all facets of the life of the community of faith, including worship, choirs, educational opportunities, youth activities, synodical activities (including chaperoning youth on weekend retreats), summer day camp and service projects, etc.
- Assist pastor in confirmation instruction as requested.
- Teach Sunday School following our regular Sunday service once per month.
- Work in concert with the gifts and talents of other staff members and maintain a teamwork mentality.
- Ensure that the Safe Church Policy is observed in all youth ministry settings.
Since the Youth Director plays a major role in the faith development of the younger members of the church, both as a leader, and as an example, St. Andrew’s seeks a professional leader who has a solid understanding of the foundations of the Christian faith, Lutheran tradition and who has a strong desire to nurture young people in the Christian faith. We seek a person who generates new ideas and programs and a person who values a team concept of ministry. The following qualifications are desirable:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Youth and Family Ministry, Education or experience in Youth Ministry.
- Good organizational skills and is a self starter.
- A commitment to welcoming all people regardless of their race, sexual orientation, faith or creed.
- Social media savvy to publicize events and communicate with parents. We need a person who is available via text, email and phone.
- We desire someone who is sensitive to keeping confidentiality.
St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church values its brothers and sisters who have received a call to support and nurture the faith of our younger members. Therefore, we will
- Encourage, pray and support you as a leader in this congregation.
- Support you with a salary package competitive with similar positions in the area.
- Provide you with paid time off in accordance with the Lay Staff guidelines of the congregation.
- Review the terms of your employment on an annual basis.
Compensation: $35-$40 an Hour
Employment: Part-time, 10 – 12 hours a week
Hours needed: Sunday mornings. Activities will be in the evenings and on weekends during the school year and a variety of times during the summer. (If Sundays are an issue please let us know. We could be flexible on this issue)
Send Resume and Cover Letter to: email@example.com